Saturday, April 01, 2006

Calibrate Monitor

Have you ever wondered if your monitor is calibrated for optimal image display?

As I edit my own images I decided it was time to learn how to calibrate my own monitor. I found it wasn’t as hard as I thought.

The best website that I found with clear instructions is this one http://homepage.eircom.net/~bot/paint/monitor.htm

I do have Adobe Gamma installed on my computer with a shortcut on my screen to find it quickly to check my monitor regularly. Adobe Gamma if installed can be found in the "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration" folder of your computer.

When I am setting up the Gamma using the large coloured patch from the website (link above) I stand back from the monitor approximately ten feet as this is easier to see if each patch is blending.

When asked to save your new settings, give it a name that is unique (do not save over the original file name as you may want to retrieve this back) so that you can request for these new settings to be used in other editing programs. Adobe image programs will already know your new settings. For example PaintShop Pro, you will need to go to File then Colour Management. In the Monitor Profile drop down menu, choose you’re newly saved monitor settings, click OK and you are now using your new settings for PaintShop Pro. You won’t need to do this every time you tweak your monitor setting if you save to that unique file name each time.

Once done your monitor should now clearly show all shades of greys and colour in your images.

No comments: